Sunday, December 19, 2004

How many more days....

I think now is the time when I should explain how much I do not enjoy the holiday season. Before someone throws a huge yellow snow ball with an ice chunk in it, at my head...Here's why...

I have a truly dysfunctional family (doesn't everyone?) that only operates on two levels-angry at someone, or trying to figure out a way to be angry at someone. We fight, passionately. But I have finally thrown in the towel and prefer to just be left alone. Sad? Yes. Necessary? Is the pope Catholic?

To add to this family bliss, I married a great guy who's family appears perfectly normal on the outside...It just explodes in your face when you marry into it. UGH! My boy is the middle of three sons...his dad passed away just before we met (which is a total bummer for more reasons than one). His mom lives in this fabulous world that my husband refers to as her "bubble"-where all of her sons and their wives get along with one another. Ahem...right....

Anyhoo...we live a decent 7 hours away from both families which is a blessing in disguise. And at times, really not far enough away...catch me?

So...since we've been married our visits to the "motherland" (a small town outside of London) have become fewer and less lengthy. We have a fantastic excuse each time..."Sorry, DK has to work...no way out of it" or "Yikes...I think Noah is coming down with something."

Long story short-even though we're only going to be away from our home for two nights (yep...it is necessary to spend equal nights at each mothers' home for fear of hearing complaints about the differences in time spent at each home...Next year we'll be far more aware of the hours spent at each place), it will truly be an agonizing experience for us both. Noah, god love him, is totally oblivious to the shit that is thrown around him.

Oh the stuff we do for our kids....I can hardly wait until he's a teenager and we can use him as an excuse for not going to visit the folks!

Grinchiness aside...I do love Christmas Eve for some reason...always have...So I am looking forward to that..

I've finished Noah's thrummed mittens...my first attempt-I'm fairly pleased with them and miraculously they stay on his hands for longer than a minute! Looks like I'll be churning a few more of these babies out over the holidays!

Happy holidays to all ( I truly mean that!)...I'm sure a few more posts will be in order over the next week or so!

J

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home