Monday, May 30, 2005

A Mish Mash o'Stuff

So, hello!

In a vain attempt to look like I'm a faithful blogger, I have decided to make this a multi-faceted blog entry. I'll post pictures like there's no tomorrow, I'll give you a quilt show critique, I'll tell you about my recent projects, I'll share some family stuff and heck, I'll even make a few political statements too.

You have been warned:)

First off, I've finished Klaralund...yippee! What a fun, easy knit this one was. I used 5.0 mm circs throughout and used Noro Kureyon in colourway 95 (I think...yikes...I'll check on that one.) I'm pleased overall, but I think my colour choice was a bit dark. It's difficult to tell what your fabric will end up looking like when you check out a big old ball of Kureyon. I love knitting with this yarn though and the pattern was great. This will definately be worn.



My Honeymoon Cami was finished awhile ago, I was hoping to model it, but alas, the sun is not behaving in my favour...I can't bear to be seen in such a skimpy little thing without a bit of winter white skin gone...ick. Again, I'm pleased with this one too...the yarn colour was perfect for me, a sour apple kind of green...very summery and fresh looking. My gauge certainly needed some improvement on this one. I'm a perfectionist to a point, but it certainly doesn't show on this project. It's comfy and that's what counts right!?




Next in line is Tempting...I know I posting my leaning tower of wool in a previous entry so I won't bore you with that again. I'm making this a stripey top-in turquoise, pink and white...I already have some beautiful hand dyed silk ribbon as well. Can't wait for this baby to be finished. The wool is wonderful to work with (Zoinks! The label is downstairs, and I'm far to lazy to go and get it...I'll post this info when I'm done!)I love the pattern, although I'm a little pensive about the sleeve joining part...I'm sure I can recruit help when I need it!




In Noah news...we're down to the last few weeks of Montessori and looking forward to a fun summer. We introduced the little lad to camping last summer, he loved it...we didn't. My hubby is not what you would call a nature lover...this combined with Noah being a restless sleeper made for a very long and chilly night. We'll give 'er another try this year though. Our tent is wicked-a two room monstrosity. All we really need gear-wise is a good stove. We did a little day trip into New York state and had a peek in an outdoor store called Gander (I think?)-what an experience that was. I'll get into that in a bit.

Here's a recent photo of the little man enjoying some wild life! Courtesy of a reptile zoo nearby...



And here we are at our Mother's Day tea at school...




The quilt show that I was involved in at the beginning of the month was fantastic. Lots of work, but well worth it. We've been receiving loads of compliments, and criticism too...but overall, everyone seemed pleased. Here's just a sampling of some of the talent we have within our Guild.









Ok now...creativeness aside...I have a bit of a rant...please stop reading if you would prefer not to hear my ramblings! This little piece is a direct result of our recent visit to a Gander outdoor supply store in northern New York, Watertown to be specific.

I'm not what you would call a politically-minded person. I have a hard time grasping onto the strong feelings that some of my friends to the south have about their "fearless leaders". Don't get me wrong, I have deep seated emotions about what is right and what is wrong and feel that the powers that be need to take a serious look at issues such as child poverty, drug issues, medical care, etc. Basically anything that falls in the sphere of social welfare (domestic or international)-keep in mind I'm a bleeding heart social worker...'nuff said. Don't ask me if I vote...ask me why I choose not to.

A few years ago, my better half was working on a project that became, and continues to be, a gaping wound in many a Canadians eyes. He was merely a techie dude working behind the scenes to get this thing off the ground. When a social work prof asked what my husband did, I told him, and then I received a proper lashing. You see, dearest was working on a program that would track firearms in my country. The Gun Registry was doomed from day one...too much money spent, too many people refusing to register their guns, etc etc. There were threats, protests, for pete's sake, poop was sent in an envelope to someone working on this thing. Yes, we are a civilized bunch aren't we? I don't own a gun, I will never own a gun, and quite frankly, I'm not sure why anyone needs to have one...unless they are hunting for sustenance. This is my honest opinion. I had a high school friend accidently shoot himself while hunting for raccoons on his uncle's farm-he died, I have watched Bowling for Columbine-and shook my head in bewilderment, I have given many a hunter shit for crossing private property-property belonging to an social service agency which housed teenagers, I have debated with my husband's cousin (who's from Texas and was born with a gun in his hand)-but never was I more appalled than the day I walked into this sporting goods store.

People...we do not sell guns, gun paraphernalia, open boxes of ammunition, cross bows, arrows, etc. I am proud to be a Canadian. I am glad that my son will never walk into a local Canadian Tire store or Walmart or MEC and be greeting with the disturbing sight of five foot tall displays of bullets.

My feeling toward weapons, firearms or not, has obviously been affected by the simple fact that my brother is a police officer. I realize that he is put in harms way on every shift, he is on the tactical/explosives detonation unit as well. Not exactly a desk man if you know what I mean. I have had this discussion with him on many occasions...he tells me that without this registry, he and his colleagues would be put at risk. When he responds to a call, more often than not, he is made aware of any weapons that may be on the premises. He carries a firearm...a firearm he has been trained to use. A firearm he has yet to use. He can count on one hand the number of times he has drawn his gun...

This could very well be the most incoherent piece I have ever written in my life! But..it eases my mind to vent a bit. In the end, I think that I am far more critical of this world since the birth of my son. It pains me that he won't have the same simple childhood, full of fun and innocence, that his father and I enjoyed.

End of rant...

Below are a few photos I took when my brother participated in a police memorial on Parliament Hill here in Ottawa. What an amazing sight...just an absolute sea of police men and women. I have never been more proud of my brother...I am always proud of my country. Peace out....


4 Comments:

At 8:04 PM, Blogger Jenn said...

I can't wait to see tempting done in a stripe pattern...what a great idea.

I love your sweater and tank!

 
At 8:48 AM, Blogger Lauren said...

I LOVE your Klaralund, Jen! The colors are SO pretty. I have been thinking about this sweater forever, and I really like the look of yours :)

Your Tempting will be great too--I love mine!

 
At 8:50 AM, Blogger jodi said...

The gun registry is a good idea. It may have gotten out of hand, I don't really understand why people were so angry about it except for the enormous cost of the project but hey, it's an enormous project. Of course it's going to cost money, and it was worth it. This is the kind of thing I pay taxes for, to live in a country that is not like our neighbours. I too have had that shock of seeing giant flashing gun and ammo displays, right down where kids can see them. Ugh.

 
At 8:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

For Noah

- Hello I'm your SP (kids edition)- I would like to send you an email or email card - could you get your mum to send her email address to my mums secret email:
knitting_mad@hotmail.com

yes like your mum mines mad about knitting as well.
Thanks
SP (Kids!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home