Thursday, August 25, 2005

Summer lovin'

Umm...I'm going to stop making excuses for not blogging...starting...Tomorrow!

Busy, busy, busy!!! It's been a great summer so far I think. Great weather, loads of day trips, a bit of knitting and a wee bit of quilting.


papa, noah and neenie at the Port
port stanley


Noah has adjusted well to his new Montessori school...thank god! We had such a nightmarish experience at the previous one. He seems pretty darned happy...which is all we really want! He's been churning out art work like there's no tomorrow...it's awesome! I'm finally getting over the obsession I have with having NOTHING on the front of the refrigerator. (Am I weird???)

We have also introduced him to a new babysitter...and it's working out great! YAY!!! We've been able to hit a few movies, cafes, and managed to grab a bite to eat without the wee one! Movies...Skeleton Key (loved it) and 40-Year Old Virgin (definitely funny...but not as hilarious as I thought it would be.) I also took Noah to see Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Now...I have always loved the Gene Wilder version, and definitely loved Roald Dahl's books...and although Johnny Depp completely creeped me out...I did enjoy this flick. Noah was in hysterics over the squirrel incident. Hee hee!!!

I've joined the gym again. Yay for me. I was stuck in a pretty awful rut a few months ago, feeling pretty dismal about the future, my self, etc. So...with the extra poundage creeping on, and with the encouragement of my cardiologist, I joined and haven't looked back. Today...pain. I am definitely learning that I no longer have the capabilities that my 20 year old body did!! YIKES!!! Anyway...it's been an interesting foray back into the gym cult. I'm enrolled at an all women's gym...which is interesting. It's weird to not have guys leering, or beef heads walking around grunting and groaning and smelling all icky. It's nice to be able to wear whatever...and not worry about any unsightly *ahem* love handles popping out of said micro shirt!

DH surprised me with the sweetest little iPod shuffle as well...LOVE IT!!! I can see being addicted to the iTunes store very soon. It's such a marvie invention and definitely contributes to my zone out time on the treadmill! I'm a lucky girl.

Ok...on the knitting front. I finished my Sockapal-two-za socks...I hope they fit, and I hope the recipient likes the colourway...I've only knit one pair before this...so I'm still a rookie.



I was so inspired by this adventure into sock land...that I spun off a pair for Noah as well. Hee! He has to wear a uniform in Sept (AWWWWWWWW!!!!)and needs to have grey socks...so there...grey socks.



What else...a "so close to being finished I can taste it" Tempting.

Finish me damn it!!!

A "fringeless" Lena Brown shawl...love the way this baby turned out...The colours are so rich I think.





I'm still plugging away at hubby's alpaca sweater. It's such a boring knit though...almost as mind numbing as the ribbing in Tempting. At least I had colour changes in that one though! I may finish it for Christmas...maybe!!!



Oh and babies...babies...babies!!! Our friends are expecting a wee one to arrive on Oct. 9..so I thought it would be most appropriate for him to have a wee pumpkin hat. How frickin' cute is that??? Our neighbours are also expecting...she LOVES fall...so she will also be a recipient of one of these hats. Such a quick knit fix.




What else...weddings...two of them! I thought our wedding going days were over (except for a few second time around shin digs that may be coming up in the future!!!). The folks that own our local scuba diving shop are tying the knot this weekend. YAY!!!

scuba hubby on the right!

So...a raggy quilt for them!

I made one of these for Noah last year in mega watt colours. I wanted to do a red and white traditional quilt for them, but figured that this would get far more use. I chose red, white and blue flannel...suits their personalities well. These quilts wash up like there's no tomorrow. They actually look better the more times you spin them through the washing machine and dryer. The fringes become far more raggy and cozy looking. I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out. Here's a few views...front and back!





I have another one of these cut and ready to sew for a wedding we have in Oct. A friend of DH's is getting married in a Bahai ceremony at the Museum of Civilization. It's going to be a beautiful one I'm sure. Our good old Roman Catholic wedding will seem so ordinary compared to this ceremony I'm sure. I hope it's bit shorter...ours was almost 2 hours long..*ahem*..we had some serious wine drinking to catch up on after that!! The fabrics for this quilt are a little more muted and soft...willow green, soft mauve, ivory, etc.

It's such a difficult thing making a gift for someone. I've only made a few things for immediate family (read..my mom, Noah), so I'm a bit nervous.

Also...big news for Noah!!! He rec'd his first SP for Kids package!! How exciting is that???? Such a cool idea...thanks again Kerrie for organizing this! He rec'd so many nice treats! A super cool VW van, a magic money bank (wish it would magically make money appear instead of disappear :), an awesome Lego comic-which my husband spent an hour reading...we don't have anything like that here!, a fun little key chain, and a sheet of farm/tractor jellies to stick on Noah's bathroom mirror...SO GENEROUS!!! Thanks so much to Noah's SP...he was so excited to receive a package from the postman (with a Royal Mail postmark no less)! Almost as excited as he is to pack up the next parcel to be sent to his SP....Fun times!!



secret pals are cool!


I should run...lots of updating to do for our quilt guild as well. First meeting is in a few weeks. Should be a fun year...being on the executive has, yet again, opened my eyes. It's amazing how difficult it is for a group of adults to play nice. It would make for an interesting sociological study I think!!!

Good nite all!!! A few more pics...I can't resist. We've been without a digital camera and I've been too lazy to scan photos. <>
La Ronde!





storybook gardens

4 Comments:

At 9:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Noah
Glad that you received your package and that you like everything. I thought it would take much longer to get all the way there. I think it is funny that your Dad has been reading the comic I sent! Don't you get any comics in Canada?

Have fun - more to follow soon
Love SP (Kids)

 
At 11:05 PM, Blogger alison said...

What great projects and pics! Love that quilt. Such a fun looking blanket. Congrats on your sock pal socks too - they look terrific! :)

 
At 11:09 AM, Blogger Linz said...

YAY!!! Great colours!

 
At 5:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Help me Dude, I'm lost.

I was searching for Elvis and somehow ended up in your blog, but you know I'm sure I saw Elvis in the supermarket yesterday.

No honest really, he was right there in front of me, next to the steaks singing "Love me Tender".

He said to me (his lip was only slightly curled) "Boy, you need to get yourself a shiny, new plasmatv to go with that blue suede sofa of yours.

But Elvis said I, In the Ghetto nobody has a plasma tv .

Dude I'm All Shook Up said Elvis. I think I'll have me another cheeseburger then I'm gonna go home and ask Michael Jackson to come round and watch that waaaay cool surfing scene in Apocalypse Now on my new plasma tv .

And then he just walked out of the supermarket singing. . .

"You give me love and consolation,
You give me strength to carry on "

Strange day or what? :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home